Calling for the ALL knowing and experienced moms...need some of your ideas/help since I'm a first timer at this stuff..okay so I have started Ryan on solids but I have no clue on when to start new foods, how many times I should feed him..veggies vs fruits? rice cereal vs oatmeal..? the only thing the Dr. told me was to feed him a bottle first and then feed him the baby food..well most of the time he is full after the bottle..I can always read more things on the Internet but I'd prefer personal experience..anyway just curious what you all have done..I like to be a scheduled/routine kind of person and I know that babies don't allow that a lot of the time but I feel like I have no structure to my days especially in the feeding department so..a little help? Any success on making your own baby food? Also..when do babies/kids start getting on a 2 naps a day schedule??
P.S. Ryan has TWO teeth now!!and few pics to show how big he's getting!

Not the greatest pic but you can kinda see them there on the bottom..

Ryan's 1st Fishing Trip..

Ryan and Nick on one of the famous Steadman's slides..(not my 1st choice of hats but his little face got burnt while fishing..)

Ryan after the slide..pretty happy!
7 comments:
What a cutie! He is DARLING!
With my boys I would feed them a jar of fruit mixed with a little cereal about 1 hour after the first morning feeding, then 1 vegetable jar in the afternoon about an hour after nap& milk. 2 naps a day came for Peter around 1 year and it looks like it will be the same with Park, but I did a morning cat nap, then a good morning nap (1-2 hours) then a good afternoon nap (1-2 hours) with a cat nap around dinnertime leading up to the 2 naps a day.
Also, with making my own food, I just pureed the fruit with a tiny bit of water (could use a little spinach because of the water content) and then froze it in those plastic containers baby food came in. With the veggies, steam first then puree. GOOD luck!! Love your updates!
hey. hope life is treating you good in burley. so first of all, ryan is getting so big!! second of all....baby food, i was quite un-cautious with baby food. i started out with rice and oatmeal cereal around 4 to 5 months, which preston hated. so around 5 to 6 months i dove into baby food. started with the simple ones like sweet potatoes etc (the ones that are lowest on the allergy chain) but i didn't wait too long (a couple days) before i introduced another one. at his 6 mo. appointment our dr. said that pretty soon he could start eating what we were eating for dinner just ground up, so thats what we did. preston loves food, so its been pretty easy...but i think just go with how you feel and if he has any reaction then you know to step back a bit. also preston LOVED the baby yogurt!! loved it. and i did a post a while back about my baby food grinder, which is one of the greatest inventions ever, used it all the time. as far as naps, preston is just barely now transitioning into two naps. and even now, if he naps bad in the morning or afternoon i let him have an evening nap and he still sleeps great at night. again, i say go by how he does, if he is onery and really tired then he still needs 3 naps, but if he naps for a long time and adjusts to it well, go with it. good luck. we need to get together when i'm home. sorry for the novel
Ryan is so cute and we miss you guys!! What I did with Cooper was feed him bottles and then feed him solids about an hour after at meal times. I would start with feeding it to him once or twice a day and then doing more. I started with cereal but Cooper didn't really like it. They say to wait a few days to start a different food. Once I thought he was better at chewing I started adding more texture. Around nine months I gave him animal crackers and other soft stuff. I think Cooper was taking two naps a day by the time he was Ryan's age and then went to one a day naps at 1. Good luck! You will be fine, you are superwoman!
ugh i know the stress! its exciting to switch to food, but bottles are so convienant. Sometimes I still wish shaylee was on bottles since she is such a picky eater. Here's what i suggest: I switched every other meal for bottle or food. so morning was a bottle and rice cereal, or rice cereal in the bottle since its so dang runny to eat, or mix oatmeal (its thicker) with a veggie (easier to digest) they say to start them on veggies first since fruits are so sweet they wont have anything to do with veggies after you give them fruit. Start on one veggie at a time for a week before you switch to another veggie. It really doenst need to be confusing. I just made sure to feed shaylee 2 solid meals at least once a day, but their milk is still really important this young. Honestly, rice cereal in bottle or oatmeal with veggies mixed (sweet potatoes in a fav) and switch bottle then meal. Hope that helps! i can't beleive how much he looks like the both of you! he's a perfect mix. Good luck!
Katie! We miss you!! Here's what we did with Bridge
-fruit/oatmeal cereal(seems to keep them more regular with poopin than rice cereal) for midmorning snack; started that at 5-6 months
-veggies for dinner
-bottles in morning when she woke up, before morning nap, and before afternoon nap, and at bedtime
-B started taking 2 naps around 7 months. She still does 2 naps a day too. Wait about 2-3 days before introducing new foods. I tried making my own food, it's super easy, but only worth it if you make big batches. I just didn't have time when working. But I will do it with my next baby. Just like Aubrey said! I can't believe he already has 2 teeth, B still only has 2. Also, start giving him lots of different food early (like at 7-8 mos) so he won't be picky. I waited too long to let Bridget try solid foods other than cheerios and puffs and she is pretty picky. There is really a lot they can eat pretty early- just blend up whatever you are eating and give it to him!
My biggest piece of advice- get him a scedule. Babies thrive on routine and so will you. Stick to it and they will be happy!
i miss ryan ;[. i miss you and nick too, but mostly ryan. come see me pretty please
I recomend investing on what to expect the first year! It's been my bible! I read it every month! Its helped a ton! I found mine at DI!
Post a Comment